Louise Møller Jørgensen
- Assoc. Prof., Department Clinical Medicine, Univ. Copenhagen
I am a neuroscientist and neurosurgeon with special interest in electroceutical therapy, such as neurostimulators. My research focus is to answer the basic questions of how electroceuticals works in the body. To do so, my two co-inventors and I have developed the recently patented device, the fMRI compatible electrical stimulator, which allow feedback from brain imaging with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). I have applied the device in my research, where I explore the effects of electrical stimulation on monoaminergic neurotransmission, neurocircuits, cerebral blood flow and metabolism. The functional neurosurgery is performed in a novel set-up in an MRI environment, where I address these questions by combining microdialysis with advanced methodological developments in functional PET and fMRI brain imaging, which are employed at the Neurobiology Research Unit. Feedback from brain imaging of the effects of electroceutical therapy will contribute to the understanding of how electroceuticals works, improve such therapy, be an important step in the direction of personalized medicine, lead to new applications and support the transition towards more use of electroceutical therapy within a wide range of neuropsychiatric disorders, rehabilitation and pain therapy.
2019 - Associate professor with function as innovation ambassador at Institute of Clinical Medicine (University of Copenhagen - UCPH) 2017 - Staff Specialist at spine section, Center of Rheumatology and Spine Disease, (Rigshospitalet – Glostrup) 2013 - PhD and PostDoc at Neurobiology Research Unit, Rigshospitalet 2005 - 2012 Neurosurgical training and residency (Rigshospitalet and Glostrup Hospital) 2005 & 2007 Two maternity leaves 2004 - 2005 Internship (Glostrup Hospital) 2003 - 2004 Junior Registrar, Dept. of Neurology (Glostrup Hospital) 2001 - 2002 Medical locum, Psychiatric Center (Amager / Kommunehospitalet) 1999 - 2000 Scholarstipend, Dept. of Neurophysiology (Rigshospitalet)
Education and degrees:
2018 PhD at UCPH (March 18th) 2013 Board certified neurosurgeon (January 2nd 2013) 2003 MD at UCPH (June 27th 2003)
Google Scholar 2019/08/20 - Citations 161 and H-index 6 (since 2014)
Original scientific publications:
- da Cunha-Bang S, Ettrup A, McMahon B, Skibsted AP, Schain M, Lehel S, Dyssegaard A, Jørgensen LM, Møller K, Gillings N, Svarer C, Knudsen GM. Measuring endogenous changes in serotonergic neurotransmission with [11C]Cimbi-36 positron emission tomography in humans. Transl Psychiatry. 2019 Apr 11;9(1): 134 (epub ahead of print)
- Jørgensen LM, Weikop P, Svarer C, Feng L, Keller SH, Knudsen GM. Cerebral serotonin release correlates with [11C]AZ10419369 PET measures of 5-HT1B receptor binding in the pig brain. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2018 Jul 1;38(7):1243–52.
- Villadsen J, Hansen HD, Jørgensen LM, Keller SH, Andersen FL, Petersen IN, Knudsen GM, Svarer GM. Automatic delineation of brain regions on MRI and PET images from the pig. J Neurosci Methods. 2018 Jan 15;294:51–8.
- Jørgensen LM, Piil K, Bashir A, Larsen MB, Poggenborg PS, Bjørck S, Fugleholm K. Is one-stop surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome safe? A retrospective long-term follow-up study in a neurosurgical unit in Copenhagen. BMJ Open. 2017 Sep 25;7(9). (epub)
- Jørgensen LM, Weikop P, Villadsen J, Visnapuu T, Ettrup A, Hansen HD, Baandruo AO, Thomsen C, Jespersen B, Knudsen GM. Cerebral 5-HT release correlates with [11C]Cimbi36 PET measures of 5-HT2A receptor occupancy in the pig brain. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2017 Feb 1;37(2):425–34.
- Ettrup A, Svarer C, McMahon B, da Cunha-Bang S, Lehel S, Møller K, Dyssegaard A, Ganz M, Beliveau V, Jørgensen LM, Gillings N, Knudsen GM. Serotonin 2A receptor agonist binding in the human brain with [11 C] Cimbi-36: Test–retest reproducibility and head-to-head comparison with the antagonist [18 F] altanserin. NeuroImage. 2016;130:167–74.
- Ettrup A, Cunha-Bang S da, McMahon B, Lehel S, Dyssegaard A, Skibsted AW, Jørgensen LM, Hansen M, Baandrup AO, Bache S, Svarer C, Kristensen JL, Gillings N, Madsen J, Knudsen GM. Serotonin 2A receptor agonist binding in the human brain with [11C]Cimbi-36. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2014 Jul;34(7):1188-1196.
- Jorgensen LM, Halkjaer LB, Lauritsen AO: Pancreatic panniculitis is necrosis of adipocytes in the subcutis followed by intense pain. Ugeskr Laeger 174:351-352, 2012.
- Masmas TN, Møller E, Buhmann C, Bunch V, Jensen JH, Hansen TN, Møller L, Kjaer C, Mannstaedt M, Oxholm A, Skau J, Arlø L, Worm L, Ekstrøm M. Nyankomne asylansøgeres helbredsstatus og traumatiseringsgrad – sekundær publication. Ugeskr Laeger 172(2), 120-4, 2010
- Masmas TN, Moller E, Buhmann C, Bunch V, Jensen JH, Hansen TN, Jorgensen LM, Kjaer C, Mannstaedt M, Oxholm A, Skau J, Theilade LA, Worm L, Ekstrom M: Health status and degree of traumatisation among newly arrived asylum seeker--secondary publication. Ugeskr Laeger 172:120-124, 2010
- Jorgensen LM, Nysom K, Lavard LD: Hydrocephalus as initial presentation of a spinal cord tumour in a child. Ugeskr Laeger 170:2981-2981, 2008
- Masmas TN, Moller E, Buhmannr C, Bunch V, Jensen JH, Hansen TN, Jorgensen LM, Kjaer C, Mannstaedt M, Oxholm A, Skau J, Theilade L, Worm L, Ekstrom M: Asylum seekers in Denmark--a study of health status and grade of traumatization of newly arrived asylum seekers. Torture 18:77-86, 2008
- Jorgensen LM, Nielsen JE, Ravnborg M: MEP recruitment curves in multiple sclerosis and hereditary spastic paraplegia. J Neurol Sci 237:25-29, 2005
Book chapters and Books:
- Oxholm A, Ehrenreich B, Kjær C, Buhmann C, Meyer D, Møller E, Jensen JH, Worm L, Theilade L, Jørgensen LM, Ashkanian M, Eckhardt MR, Ekstrøm M, Berg RMG, Masmas TN, Hansen TN, Bunch V, Steen M, Westh I. Torturoverlever I Danmark - en opfølgende undersøgelse af 13 torturerede asylansøgere. Amnesty International, 2009, Frederiksberg Bogtrykkeri, ISBN: 978-87-88252-29-3
- The fMRI compatible stimulator (EPS 17195244.3 – 1666, October 2017). Inventors: Louise Møller Jørgensen, Carsten Thomsen and Anders Ohlhues